21 November 2020
SUNDAY MORNING CHURCH GATHERINGS FOR WORSHIP
While we are extremely grateful for the advantages we’ve enjoyed by having digital services during the past lock-down period, we need to acknowledge that a service watched on a TV or computer monitor or phone IS NOT CHURCH.
We may try to “participate” by praying with or singing with what appears on the screen, but it lacks the essential elements of communal worship and being available to give of ourselves to one another in encouragement and service. It lacks the sense of the Holy Spirit moving among us, prompting us to be active members of the body of Christ.
These things happen (or have the potential to happen) when we gather physically to worship, fellowship and serve, with hearts open to whatever the Lord may prompt within us.
While our gatherings remain limited in number to a maximum of 100 people (although we could fit in another 10 or 20 if needs be), we have not yet needed to turn anyone away because of having too many present. So please do plan to join us for worship and service and teaching each week – remembering to call in during the week to reserve a place and to leave your details with the office.
Now, of course, some people should NOT be exposing themselves to larger gatherings, and if you fall into that category, for whatever reason, please know that making sensible decisions is what the Lord would expect of us.
We look forward to seeing you (or at least seeing your eyes above your mask) on Sunday.
PRAYER GUIDELINES FOR WEEK 35
Rededicating my life to Jesus Christ.
At times we who have claimed that Jesus is Lord of our lives
allow other commitments to challenge that priority.
We need to ask, “Is Jesus truly Lord of my life?
Why do I not feel as close to Him as I once did?”
Let us invite the Holy Spirit to give us understanding,
because we need to learn the following:
God wants to reclaim my life and restore joy
If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love,
just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love.
I have told you this so that my joy may be in you
and that your joy may be complete. (John 15:10-11)
Christ wants to be Lord of all my life
Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? (Luke 6:46)
God is ready to forgive and cleanse me from sin
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us
our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
Other Christians are ready to forgive and restore me
Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently.
But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. (Galatians 6:1)
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other,
just as in Christ God forgave you. (Ephesians 4:32)
God wants me to live in fellowship with Him now
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another,
and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. (1 John 1:7)
God wants me to be filled with His Spirit
Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery.
Instead, be filled with the Spirit. (Ephesians 5:18)
God will make me acceptable for His ministry
Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you
will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6)
Heavenly Father, I surrender control of my life to You once again.
Give me ‘a stubborn, irrefutable certainty’ that You can be trusted
with my family and those I love, with my health and my future,
with my bank account. And all the other things that I’ve been trying to control without You,
I relinquish those to You as well. I trust You, help me with my lack of trust. Amen.
UCH PRAYER LIST AND INTERCESSOR TEAM
If you have a need and would like your name to be included on a UCH prayer list, please contact Annemarie (firstname.lastname@example.org ; 084 206 8608) who will circulate your request among the intercessor team. But please DO NOT add anyone else’s name without their permission.
If you would like to join the intercessor team please also speak to Annemarie.
CHURCH GATHERINGS - PROTOCOL
As the President indicated, strict conditions need to be adhered to. These are noted below.
THE FOLLOWING RESTRICTIONS AND CONDITIONS WILL APPLY:
• We are allowed to have a maximum of 100 people per gathering.
• Everyone has to wear a mask at all times.
• You will need to call or email to reserve your place in order to control the numbers, and so that we have an attendance record which will include your name and contact number. (We will not be able to admit anyone who has not reserved a place.)
• The details for reserving a place are any of the following:
• By e-mail:
• Call Debbie: 083 415 5309 (weekdays between 9am and 12pm)
• Call the office: 028 312 2717 (weekdays between 9am and 12pm)
• Only the pews will be used, with allocated sections marked off in order to maintain physical distancing and to enable sanitising after the service. (You may want to bring your own cushion.)
• Only family members who are living together will be permitted to sit together, but we are not able to accommodate young children.
• Physical distancing needs to be practiced at all times.
• As the windows will be open, please do bring a jacket or blanket.
• Everyone will need to have their temperature taken on arrival.
• Please bring your own Bible.
• There will be no congregational singing.
• The same format and message will be conducted by the same pastor as on the Sunday Internet service.
• We will not be taking up an offering during any of the services. Anyone wanting to bring tithes and offerings for the work of the Lord is encouraged to use the UCH bank account details below to do an EFT.
• There will be ample parking place, so please leave spaces between cars when parking if possible.
• Normal strict sanitising protocols will be followed.
We are continuing to do our best to keep you safe; please will you do whatever is right to keep others safe as well.
We will also be continuing with our online services and daily devotions (on Facebook) throughout this time.
HELP AND SUPPORT DURING OFFICE CLOSURE
As you are all aware, the office has been closed for the past weeks, and will continue to be closed for as long as the lockdown restrictions last. BUT THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT
NO-ONE IS AVAILABLE.
Should you have any need at all (personal, spiritual or practical) please do use the UCH HELPLINE:
The UNITED CHURCH HELPLINE 061 367 4573
DAILY DEVOTIONS: WORDS TO THE CHURCH
To follow a short daily devotion, you can follow
on the United Church Face-Book page
or web page: https://www.uchermanus.com/words-to-the-church
It’s a brief daily focus on connecting with God.
In the light of our not being able to take up an offering during the service, we do encourage you to make use of electronic banking facilities to bring, as part of our worship, tithes, gifts and offerings for the ongoing work of the Lord through the United Church.
Our bank account is: United Church – Standard Bank
Account number 082 26 25 27 (Branch 050312) (Cheque account)
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE BANKS DO NOT ACCEPT CHEQUES ANYMORE
THUS ELECTRONIC TRANSFERS ARE THE BEST