Please note that communication is very important and will mainly be done through our website, Facebook page, emails or bulk-SMS.
In order to keep you up-to-date with information about Worship Services and other church gatherings please make sure that we have your correct details.
The information may change from week to week.
30 May 2020
CHURCH – AFTER 1 JUNE 2020
The announcement by President Ramaphosa on Tuesday 26 May was that church services may commence under Lockdown Level 3. While churches MAY now meet, there is still some debate as to whether or not we SHOULD meet.
The Elders and Board have met and agreed that services may be held each week in the church building on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays at 10:00am (NOT 09:00am), for 30 to 45 minutes, starting on Sunday 7 June (NOT Tuesday 9 June) , reservations to be done before 12:00 on Friday 5 June - for Sunday 7 June's service. . The SUNDAY YOUTUBE INTERNET SERVICES and WEEKDAY FACEBOOK DAILY DEVOTIONS will continue as at present.
The decision to proceed was made with the prime intention of allowing the people of United freedom of choice. We believe that our people are fully capable of making wise decisions for themselves as to whether or not they are able and willing to risk meeting together with others.
Because the decision to proceed was made on this basis, we ask you to remember that your decisions should take into account that the national recommendations are that people with any underlying health conditions (including heart conditions, diabetes and even flu and cold symptoms, etc.), along with the “elderly” (who are defined as those older than 60!) are advised TO NOT ATTEND these gatherings.
As to the question of why we should meet, it was felt that there are people who are missing having fellowship with others in a more personal way. Please remember that attending services (or not) does not in any way affect one’s standing with the Lord.
So everyone is asked to make wise assessments about their own health and to act accordingly.
Recognising that it is not known how many would be interested in attending these services, it was decided that we should go ahead on a trial basis. New decisions may be made in days to come.
As the President indicated, strict conditions need to be adhered to. These are noted below.
THE FOLLOWING RESTRICTIONS AND CONDITIONS ARE TO APPLY:
• We are allowed to have maximum of 50 people per gathering.
• Everyone has to wear a mask at all times.
• We need you to call or email to reserve your place in order to control the numbers, and so that we have an attendance record which will include your name and contact number. (We will not be able to admit anyone who has not reserved a place.)
• The details for reserving a seat are any of the following:
o By e-mail:
o Call Debbie: 083 415 5309 (weekdays between 9.00am and 12.00pm)
o Call the office: 028 312 2717 (weekdays between 9.00am and 12.00pm)
• Only the pews will be used, with allocated sections marked off in order to maintain physical distancing and to enable sanitising after the service. (You may want to bring your own cushion.)
• Only family members who are living together will be permitted to sit together, but we are not able to accommodate children.
• Physical distancing needs to be practiced at all times.
• As the windows will be open, please do bring a jacket or blanket.
• Everyone will need to have their temperature taken to determine that it is below 38 degrees.
• Please bring your own Bible.
• There will be no congregational singing.
• The same format and message will be conducted by the same pastor at each of the three services, as well as on the Sunday Internet service. With this in mind, everyone is asked to please attend only once a week.
• We will not be taking up an offering during any of the services. Anyone wanting to bring tithes and offerings for the work of the Lord is encouraged to use the UCH bank account details below in this e-bulletin to do an EFT.
• There will be ample parking place, so please leave spaces between cars when parking.
• Normal strict sanitising protocols will be followed.
We are doing our best to keep you safe, please will you do whatever is right to keep others safe as well.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The UCH constitution requires that an Annual General Meeting of members be held during June. However, as our circumstances are unprecedented and not catered for in the constitution, the Board has decided that the AGM should be delayed until a more appropriate time.
This means that the office bearers will continue as in the year past, and the Board may decide to co-opt members if needed.
The extract from the (Zoom) Board Meeting Minutes of 26 May reads as follows:
The AGM, per Constitution, is to be held within 3 months of the yearend being 31 March 2020. However, this would not be possible at this Level of lockdown. It was therefore agreed that the Board would continue to serve indefinitely but only until a meeting was possible with the required quorum at least.
Answering the question of the Constitutional dilemma of such a decision, Henning explained that force majeure would apply to this decision as the postponement is:
- Beyond our control.
PRAYER GUIDELINES FOR WEEK 10
Let us focus differently on our intercession this week.
1. Be still before the Lord. 2. Ponder the questions.
3. Talk to the Lord about it. 4. Pray Psalm 85 each day
– for yourself, the Church and our Country.
LORD, you poured out blessings on your land! You restored the fortunes of Israel.
You forgave the guilt of your people — yes, you covered all their sins.
You held back your fury. You kept back your blazing anger.
Now restore us again, O God of our salvation. Put aside your anger against us once more.
Will you be angry with us always? Will you prolong your wrath to all generations?
Won’t you revive us again, so your people can rejoice in you?
Show us your unfailing love, O LORD, and grant us your salvation.
I listen carefully to what God the LORD is saying, for he speaks peace to his faithful people.
But let them not return to their foolish ways.
Surely his salvation is near to those who fear him, so our land will be filled with his glory.
Unfailing love and truth have met together. Righteousness and peace have kissed!
Truth springs up from the earth and righteousness smiles down from heaven.
Yes, the LORD pours down his blessings. Our land will yield its bountiful harvest.
Righteousness goes as a herald before him, preparing the way for his steps
Monday: How has life changed for you and your family in 2020? What are you grateful for? What feelings are being stirred up in you during this time? How is God carrying you right now?
Tuesday: In which ways do you connect with God and enjoy His presence? As your loving Father, invite God to embrace you and spend some time soaking in His love.
Wednesday: How has God blessed you and your family in this season? How will things be different for you forward? How is God using you to make a difference?
Thursday: Reflect on the blessings (Godly inheritance) that have been passed down to you?
What legacy would you like to leave? What are you trusting God for?
Friday: Pray for your circle of family (friends):
Pray for their emotional, physical and spiritual needs, as well as for their relationships.
Saturday: Injustice, exploitation, oppression, hunger, homeless, etc. in our community – which of these challenges cause your heart to grieve? Wait on the Lord. As you hear from God – pray into His direction and vision.
Unbroken praise be Yours God forever
All my praise be Yours God forever
Lord take this life
Let it become Your throne
Unbroken praise be Yours
So let my deeds outrun my words
And let my life outweigh my songs
HELP AND SUPPORT DURING OFFICE CLOSURE
As you are all aware, the office has been closed for the past 6 weeks, and will continue to be closed for as long as the lockdown restrictions last. BUT THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT
NO-ONE IS AVAILABLE.
Should you have any need at all (personal, spiritual, financial or practical) please do use the UCH HELPLINE: 061 367 4573
Further, we all know that there are individuals and businesses who are or will be facing very difficult times financially in the coming months. If you are aware of people who are in need, or if you are in need yourself, please feel free to contact any of members of the Benevolent Fund Sub-Committee which has been set up by the Management Board to help those members who are struggling.
The sub-committee members are:
• Dudley Meyer (Board Chair) 083 229 5475
• Alastair Lyle (Board Treasurer) 073 778 2777
• Jack Trevena (Board Secretary) 083 325 4303
• Ken Jackson (Pastor) 084 5066 311
There are resources (although limited) for us to be able to help those in need.
The UNITED CHURCH HELPLINE 061 367 4573
DAILY DEVOTIONS: WORDS TO THE CHURCH
To follow a short daily devotion, you can follow
on the United Church Face-Book page
or web page: https://www.uchermanus.com/words-to-the-church
It’s a brief daily focus on connecting with God.
In the light of our not being able to take up an offering during the service, we do encourage you to make use of electronic banking facilities to bring, as part of our worship, tithes, gifts and offerings for the ongoing work of the Lord through the United Church.
Our bank account is: United Church – Standard Bank
Account number 082 26 25 27 (Branch 050312) (Cheque account)